FIRAS Installer certification scheme
Warringtonfire offers UKAS accredited certification from its Warrington office and can provide certification schemes for products and personnel.
Warringtonfire’s FIRAS scheme is for installers has been instrumental in improving the installation and maintenance standards of passive and active fire protection products and systems. FIRAS is the mark of endorsement of competency in the installation of products and systems, vital for achieving the protection required.
FIRAS is voluntary, third party certification scheme for installation contractors of both passive and active fire protection systems, operated by Warringtonfire certification and accredited by UKAS to BS EN ISO/IEC 17065:2012.
Why choose a FIRAS certificated installation contractor?
FIRAS certified contractors are required to undergo a three-stage assessment process, and, only when the applicant contractor has satisfied all of these criteria is certification granted:
- Assessment of office management systems
- Assessment of workmanship of site for all trade disciplines for which certification is sought
- Competence assessment of supervisory and installation employees.
FIRAS certification is awarded to the contracting company not the individual employees. Should a contractor wish to increase their scope of certification, a separate application must be made to attain the additional certification.
All FIRAS site inspectors and sprinkler engineers have technical and practical knowledge and experience in fire protection. Certification requirements have been developed with UK trade associations including:
- Association of Specialist Fire Protection (ASFP) - Passive fire protection of building structural steel frame, penetration seals (fire stopping), cavity barriers
- British Woodworking Federation (BWF) - Timber fire doors
- Glass & Glazing Federation (GGF) - Fire rated glazed screens
- Door and Hardware Federation (DHF) - Steel fire doors and hardware
- British Automatic Fire Sprinkler Association (BAFSA) - Residential, domestic, commercial and industrial sprinkler systems
- XACT – Residential, domestic sprinkler design and installation training
- Smoke Control Association (SCA) - Smoke control
FIRAS certified contractors are subject to an annual audit of their offices and ongoing, random surveillance site inspections where competence and workmanship are assessed.
Contractors certified under the scheme for installers of residential and domestic sprinklers have system designs randomly checked to appropriate standards in addition to site inspections.
FIRAS certified contractors are required to log 'contracts in hand' on the FIRAS online database. A 'Certificate of Conformity (Compliance)' for the completed works is issued from the FIRAS online database.
Contact Details and Related Services
Find out how we test our customers passive fire protection products, to meet British, European and International standards in support of both CE marking and other third-party certification programs.
Find out more about how we can offer a range of fire inspection, consultancy and engineering to complement our other services.
Reaction to Fire
Find out how we help our customers to evaluate ignition, flame spread, heat release, smoke generation and toxicity for their materials, products and systems.