FIRAS Installer certification scheme
Warringtonfire operates UKAS accredited certification schemes for both product and for companies involved in their installation.
Warringtonfire’s FIRAS scheme for installers has been instrumental in improving the installation and maintenance standards of passive and active fire protection products and systems.
FIRAS is the mark of endorsement of competency in the installation of products and systems, vital for achieving the protection required.
FIRAS is a voluntary, third party certification scheme for installation contractors of both passive and active fire protection systems, operated by Warringtonfire and accredited by UKAS to BS EN ISO/IEC 17065:2012.
Why choose a FIRAS certified installation contractor?
FIRAS certified contractors are required to undergo a three-stage assessment process, and only when the applicant contractor has satisfied all of these criteria is certification granted:
- Assessment of office management systems
- Assessment of workmanship of site for all trade disciplines for which certification is sought
- Competence assessment of supervisory and installation employees
All FIRAS site inspectors and sprinkler engineers have technical and practical knowledge and experience in fire protection. Certification requirements have been developed with UK trade associations including:
- Association for Specialist Fire Protection (ASFP) - Passive fire protection of building structural steel frame, penetration seals (fire stopping), cavity barriers
- British Woodworking Federation (BWF) - Timber fire doors
- Glass & Glazing Federation (GGF) - Fire rated glazed screens
- Door and Hardware Federation (DHF) - Steel fire doors and hardware
- British Automatic Fire Sprinkler Association (BAFSA) - Residential, domestic, commercial and industrial sprinkler systems
- XACT – Residential, domestic sprinkler design and installation training
FIRAS certified contractors are subject to an annual audit of their offices and ongoing, random surveillance site inspections where competence and workmanship are assessed.
Contractors certified under the scheme for installers of residential and domestic sprinklers have system designs randomly checked to appropriate standards in addition to site inspections.
FIRAS certified contractors are required to log 'contracts in hand' on the FIRAS online database. A 'Certificate of Conformity (Compliance)' for the completed works is issued from the FIRAS online database.
FIRAS certification is awarded to the contracting company, not the individual employees. Should a contractor wish to increase their scope of certification, a separate application must be made to attain the additional certification.
The FIRAS Register
The FIRAS Register contains the details of companies who are certified installers of fire protection in accordance with the requirements of the FIRAS Schemes.
Each FIRAS Certificated company is required to continue to demonstrate compliance with industry standards and material/product manufacturer installation instructions in order to assure clients that the fire protection installed by them is correct to specification and will afford the required fire protection.
The FIRAS Register is regularly reviewed to ensure that the company maintains a competent workforce whose abilities remain current with the scope of work the company provides.
Are you ready to apply for FIRAS certification?
Q1 Have you installed four contracts that included fire rated products? Yes/No
Q2 Were these *contracts on a supply and fit basis? Yes/No
*Does the company have a written Sub-Contract agreement with Sub-Contract employees? Yes/No
Q3. Did these four installations take place within last 12 months? Yes/No
Q4. Have you been trading for a minimum of 12 months? Yes/No
If you answered yes to all the questions then you're eligible to apply for FIRAS. Please complete the relevant form before and one of our experts will get in touch.
- Passive Fire Protection Certification Scheme application form
- Residential Sprinkler Certification Scheme application form
- Industrial Sprinkler Certification Scheme application form
- Water Mist Installation Certification Scheme application form
If you need to speak with an expert, please call +44 (0) 1925 541 267. Please be aware this is a popular scheme and we may take up to 72 hours to get back in touch.
Contact Details and Related Services
Find out how we test our customers passive fire protection products, to meet British, European and International standards in support of both CE marking and other third-party certification programs.
Find out more about how we can offer a range of fire inspection and engineering to complement our other services.
Reaction to Fire
Find out how we help our customers to evaluate ignition, flame spread, heat release, smoke generation and toxicity for their materials, products and systems.